Party Cake Recipe
- 12 months +
- 2 (8-inch) round or square cake layers, 12 to 16 cupcakes
For birthdays, holidays, and celebrations, I have made this cake countless times over many years. It is always popular, plain or with a sauce, made in a cake pan or as cupcakes. This is still my favorite cake recipe for special occasions. Fruit kuzu with fresh fruit is delicious, colorful, and festive.
You will need:
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sesame, almond, or safflower oil
- 1 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached pastry flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yogurt or
- Water, if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Double the Fruit Kuzu Recipe for Cake Icing
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Oil and flour two 8-inch round or square cake pans.
2. To make cake, mix eggs, oil, and maple syrup or honey in a large bowl.
3. Sift flours, baking soda, and salt into a separate bowl.
4. Mix a small portion of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
5. Mix in part of yogurt or almond milk. Continue mixing, alternating between adding dry ingredients and yogurt or almond milk.
If needed, add extra water for a cake batter consistency.
6. Stir in vanilla.
7. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool.
8. Spread fruit kuzu on each cake, then stack.
- For fruit shortcake, cut a 4 x 4-inch square piece of cake, and top with cut pieces of fresh fruit and amazake cream or yogurt sweetened with maple syrup.
- Substitute cream cheese icing for one or both layers. Mix together 12-ounces of cream cheese (softened) with 1⁄3 cup maple syrup and
1 teaspoon vanilla extract. For a special option, add 1⁄3 cup powdered cocoa to cream cheese icing for a chocolate flavor.
- Use a muffin tin to make cupcakes and top with cream cheese icing.