Grain Superfood Recipe
Feeding your baby whole grains as his central food provides him an opportunity for optimal health. Here is a recipe appropriate for age 12 months and up.
- 12 months+
- 6 to 8 (2-ounce) servings or 3 to 4 (4-ounce) servings
- gluten free
You will need
- 3 tablespoons short-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons millet
- 1 teaspoon quinoa
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 1⁄3 cups water for cooking for 6 months (adjust water-to-grain ratio as baby grows)
- 1-inch square kombu sea vegetable or 1 teaspoon wakame flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt for 12 months+
Short-grain brown rice and millet, millet and sweet rice, millet and quinoa
Cover grains with water and soak for 8 to 24 hours. If you do not have time to soak for the longer time span, soak for at least 1 hour, if possible.
Follow the same directions for cooking Daily Grains, adding sea vegetables to grains while cooking.
- Cook single or combinations of grains—brown rice, sweet brown rice, millet, quinoa, or oats.
- Combine grains with vegetables when making puree.
- Add ¼ teaspoon sesame, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds to grain before soaking. Cook seeds with grains and puree together.
- Add ¼ sheet nori sea vegetable to grain in blender to puree, or sprinkle small pieces on top of grain dish, making sure that nori is moist, so that it is easy to swallow.
- Mix in ¼ teaspoon of sesame, olive, flaxseed, or coconut oil when serving.
- Mix in a few drops of plum vinegar when serving.
- Mix in ¼ teaspoon of rice syrup or tahini when serving.
- Sprinkle ground toasted seeds on top of grain when serving 9 months+.