Fruit Gelo Recipe
- 7 months +
- 12 (2 ounce) servings
- gluten free
Kanten is a basic, light, and refreshing dessert made from the sea vegetable agar, which is a natural, vegetarian gelatin. It has a delicate texture, and is refreshing when served slightly cool, after a heavy meal, or in warm weather. Agar comes in dried flakes that are dissolved in liquid to make gelatin.
You will need
- 4 cups unsweetened fruit juice
- 3 tablespoons agar flakes
- 2 cups fresh fruit, peeled, trimmed, cored, and cut into ½-inch pieces (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt for 9 months+
Options: Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, apricots, apples, plums, pears, bananas
1. Put juice, agar flakes, and sea salt (if using) into a pan.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until agar is dissolved.
3. Reduce heat to low, add fruit, if desired, and simmer until fruit is softened, about 5 minutes, depending on the fruit.
4. Use a heat diffuser to prevent burning.
5. Pour mixture into individual dishes, into one large casserole dish (cut into squares once set), or into food cubes. Cool in refrigerator until mixture is jelled.
- Use half water and half fruit juice.
- Add fruit after pouring juice and agar mixture into dishes.
- Substitute carrot juice for fruit juice.
- Substitute vegetable broth for fruit juice and substitute vegetable pieces for fruit pieces.